Western River Expedition is a live action, comedy, adventure upcoming film and serves as the prequel to the 2022 version of Home on the Range.
Mayor Cornelius Lane and Sheriff James Berg received word about a group of outlaws who plan to rob a bank. But Cornelius and James don't even know why. They later realized that a bounty hunter named Clara is the one who sent the outlaws, and that she's helping her brother's partner buy a farm. Cornelius and James team up with a saloon girl named Gabrielle and a bartender named Clinton to find the Clara and the outlaws. Meanwhile, Clara goes to a black market businessman named Wesley for assistance. Cornelius and his gang find the bad guys and start a battle, with all the outlaws defeated and Wesley escaping. Clara reveals that she is helping to buy Pearl's farm. Cornelius tries to shut her up by pointing his gun at her. Clara takes out her gun but instead shoots at Gabrielle and Clinton, killing both of them. Cornelius and James fight Clara in an intense battle, causing James falling and getting crushed by a rock, dead. Clara wins and Cornelius survives. She was about to contact his brother, but he just shows up. It is revealed that Clara's brother is actually Rico. He both congratulates Clara for her help and fails her. Rico stated that the right way to get money is getting criminals. He shoots Clara dead, takes the mayor with him, disguised him as a bandit. It is also implied that in the cartoon version of Home on the range when Rico throws a bandit by the sherrif, that's actually Mayor Cornelius Lane. After Sam attended James's funeral, he takes his place as the new Sheriff. It is also revealed that the bank the outlaws were robbing was Pearl's. So Sam took Buck (Sam's horse) out with him and took off to Patch of Heaven.
- Bruce Willis as Mayor Cornelius Lane, the protagonist
- Haley Joel Osment as Sheriff James Berg, the deuteragonist
- Steve Buscemi as Wesley, the secondary antagonist
- Sarah Michelle Gellar as Clara, the main antagonist
- Hailee Steinfeld as Gabrielle, a supporting character
- Denis Leary as Clinton, a supporting character
- Will Arnett as Rico, Clara's brother, a minor/pivotal antagonist
- Alan Arkin as Sheriff Sam, the tritagonist
- Freddie Prinze Jr. as Buck (cameo)
- Jess Harnell as Hoot Gibson (cameo)
- According to Sheriff Sam, the film takes place right before the events of Home on the Range.
- This is the first Disney film based on an animated Disney film to receive a PG-13 rating. Except there wasn't an animated version of Western River Expedition.