The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss is an American live-action/puppet television series based on characters created by Dr. Seuss, produced by The Jim Henson Company. It aired since Spring 2003 on PBS Kids. It is notable for its use of live puppets with digitally animated backgrounds, and in its first season, for refashioning characters and themes from the original Dr. Seuss books into new stories that often retained much of the flavor of Dr. Seuss' own works since 2003
In many respects seasons of the program are very different shows. The so many seasons have completely different intro and outro credit sequences and songs reflecting their differing orientations. The virtual settings seen in this show are created by Jim Henson's Creature Shop it Filmed in Kaufman Astrio Studios in 2002. Each episode is a self-contained story based on Dr. Seuss characters such as Yertle the Turtle and Horton the Elephant. The unifying element is that the stories are introduced and commented on by The Cat in the Hat who serves as host of the show since 2003.
- The Gink – April 3, 2003
- Who Are You, Sue Snue – April 3, 2003
- The King's Beard – April 4, 2003
- The Simplifier – April 5, 2003
- The Guest – April 5, 2003
- Almost There – April 6, 2003
- Oh, The People You'll Meet – April 6, 2003
- The Blag-Bludder Beast – April 14, 2003
- The Snoozer – April 14, 2003
- Yertle the King – April 14, 2003
- The Muckster – April 13, 2003
- The Mystery of Winna-Bango Falls – April 13, 2003
- Norval The Great – December 21, 2003
- Mrs. Zabarelli's Holiday Baton – December 21, 2003
- The Veiwer – January 9, 2004
- The Song of the Zubble Wump – January 17, 2004
- Max the Hero – January 17, 2004
- The Road To Ka-Larry – January 18, 2004
- The Birthday Moose – January 19, 2004
- The Operatic Moose – January 20, 2004
- The Waterloo Circus – January 23, 2004
- The Cat in the Hat - (Bruce Lanoil) - The main character of the series. He starts out as a trickster, then becomes a more nurturing host.
- The Little Cats (performed by Leslie Carrara-Rudolph, John Kennedy, Stephanie D'Abruzzo, Pam Arceiro and Anthony Asbury) - They debuted in The Cat in the Hat Comes Back.
- The Grinch (performed by Anthony Asbury) - He appeared from How the Grinch Stole Christmas!. He likes to dampen other people's fun and pleasure.
- Max the Dog (performed by Stephanie D'Abruzzo) - He appeared from How the Grinch Stole Christmas!. Max is the Grinch's long suffering dog.
- Fox and Knox (performed by Bruce Lanoil, and John Kennedy) - They appeared from Fox in Socks. Fox is lively and Knox is moody and easily annoyed. The only episode where Fox appeared without Knox is "The Sounds All Around."
- Yertle the Turtle (performed by Anthony Asbury) - Yertle is a turtle who tries to be king of anything. He is a dictator.
- Horton the Elephant (performed by John Kennedy) - He appeared from Horton Hears a Who! and Horton Hatches the Egg. He is steadfast.
- Morton the Elephant-Bird (performed by Leslie Carrara-Rudolph) - He appeared from Horton Hatches the Egg.
- Jane Kangaroo (performed by Stephanie D'Abruzzo) - She appeared from Horton Hears a Who!. She is very strict.
- Junior Kangaroo (performed by Tim Lagasse) - He appeared from Horton Hears a Who! and is the son of Jane Kangaroo. By 2003, he and Morton have become friends.
- Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose (performed by Anthony Asbury) - A moose who is still big-hearted and appeared since Season 2. In this show, Thidwick is also the uncle of Morton the Elephant-Bird as seen in "The Birthday Moose."
- The Wickershams (performed by John Kennedy, Bruce Lanoil) - A family of apes who come from Horton Hears a Who! They are often employed by Jane Kangaroo and/or Yertle the Turtle. They are bullies.
- Norval the Fish (performed by John Kennedy) - Norval would appear in different roles in the show. Around Season 1, Norval would serve as one of King Derwin's advisors.
- Sally Spingel-Spungel-Sporn (performed by Camille Bonora in "The Muckster", Stephanie D'Abruzzo in "Max the Hero") - She came from The Cat in the Hat Song Book.
- Snark (performed by Fran Brill) - A pink bird that appears and lives in the Jungle of Nool. She is seen in Season 1 Episode 3.
- Sneels (performed by Stephanie D'Abruzzo) - The sneels are green and pink furry creatures that live in the Jungle of Nool. They were previously used as background cave creatures in Fraggle Rock, but had different eyes here.
- Mick Maputo Bird (performed by Anthony Asbury) - An Elvis Presley-themed bird who is seen in Season 1. He sings "Out in the Jungle" in the episode "The Cat in the Hat's Indoor Picnic."
- Whozits - Smaller counterparts to the Whos.
Home video releases
The series was never systematically issued to home video on either VHS or DVD. Most DVD releases contain three episodes per disc and are a mix of episodes from the alot seasons.