The Land Before Time: Far Away Home is a 2009 American-Japanese animated fantasy adventure film and the fourteenth film in The Land Before Time series. It was directed by Charles Grosvenor and Hayao Miyazaki and written by Stu Krieger. It was produced by Universal Animation Studios, Amblin Entertainment, and Studio Ghibli, and released by Universal Pictures & 20th Century Fox.
The film premiered in Japan on April 3, 2009 and was released on April 15, 2009 in the United States. The film received universal acclaim from critics and audiences for its story, animation, characters, emotional scenes, John Powell's score, and the performances of Jason Marsden and Jack Black. The film surpassed the 1988 film at the box office, grossing a total of $502 million in the US and Canada and $734 million in other territories, for a total of $1.236 billion, making it the highest-grossing domestic film and fourth-highest grossing film of 2009. At the 82nd Academy Awards, the film was nominated for Best Animated Feature, losing to Pixar's Up.
- Raymond Ochoa as Littlefoot
- Anndi McAfee as Cera
- Aria Curzon as Ducky
- Jeff Bennett as Petrie, a young brown Pteranodon
- Rob Paulsen as Spike/Guido, a young teal Microraptor
- Max Burkholder as Chomper
- Meghan Strange as Ruby
- Nika Futterman as Ali
- Jason Marsden as Sky, a blue Wingtail
- Megan Fox as Star, a purple Wingtail
- Jack Black as Eybron, a white Wingtail
- Tom Kenny as Glide, a gray Wingtail
- Jim Cummings as Grandpa Longneck
- Miriam Flynn as Grandma Longneck
- John Ingle as Daddy Topps
- Cam Clarke as Bron
- It's the first Land Before Time sequel to receive a theatrical release in theaters since the 1988 original.
- This is the first Land Before Time film to not feature sharpteeth.
- This is the first Land Before Time film to be co-produced by 20th Century Fox.
The film received massive positive reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes holds the film a 98% approval rating based on 205 reviews. Metacritic assigned the film a score of 99 out of 100 based on 56 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
Audiences are very positive about this film. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 97% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. The film earned a A+ from CinemaScore.
The Land Before Time: Far Away Home was released on Blu-ray Disc and DVD in North America on September 4, 2009, and in the United Kingdom on December 15, 2009. First-week sales of the DVD reached 17 million copies, making it the best-selling DVD of 2009 in units sold, It also became the third in sales revenue behind Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. The Blu-ray version had the best first-week sales of 2009, with 9.2 million units sold.