Starbound is an American action-science fiction video game. It is developed by Criterion Games and published by Electronic Arts, being released for PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Sega Orion and PlayStation Flex on July 12th, 2020.
Set in the year 2560, Earth has evolved to a planetary empire as a member of the United Planets Exploration Force crash lands in another edge of the galaxy as they try to survive and get back to the UP.
- The Explorer (voiced by Scott Porter if male and Lacey Chabert if female) - an explorer employed by the UP who crash lands on a planet and tries to return back to where they belong.
- L.I.N.C. (voiced by Tom Kenny) - an A.I. who lives in the Explorer's suit, guiding them through terrains.
- Mira (voiced by Ashley Johnson) - a jungle girl from Tueter who is rather friendly despite not knowing technology. If the Explorer is male, there's chances of a potential romance between them.
- Hento (voiced by Dante Basco) - a shinobi from Henzao who is determined to fight against evil and protect anyone and be honorable. If the Explorer is female, there's chances of a potential romance between them.
- Commander Rocky (voiced by Jim Hanks) - a space traveler who TBD.
- A.D.A.M. (voiced by Rodger Bumpass) - TBD
- The Stripslaves, consisting of:
- The Exodus Resistance, consisting of:
- Winona (voiced by TBD) - the leader of a resistance who TBD.
- [male] (voiced by TBD) - TBD
- [female] (voiced by TBD) - TBD
- [male] (voiced by TBD) - TBD
- [male] (voiced by TBD) - TBD
- Spade (voiced by TBD) - a mysterious man who TBD.
- Ex Machina (voiced by David Kaye) - a man who believes that TBD.
- Mr. President (voiced by Mark Hamill) - an artificial intelligence who was programmed to be the perfect head of the UP.
- First Lady (voiced by Catherine Taber) - an A.I. created to be Mr. President's wife and is TBD.
- The Radicals, consisting of:
- Moira (voiced by Ashly Burch) - the leader of the Radicals who despises the UP and plots to take over everything just to cause chaos.
- A6-16-FB (voiced by Jim Meskimen) - an android from Gyros who is the Radicals' mechanic inventing many machines.
- Lela (voiced by Kari Wahlgren) - a humanoid alien who is extremely nihilistic and cruel.
- Pretty Boy (voiced by Roger Craig Smith) - TBD
- Razor (voiced by Dwight Schultz) - an amorphous blob who lives inside of a gigantic mech suit.
- Annie (voiced by Jessica DiCicco) - TBD
- Caesar (voiced by Tim Curry) - an AI who becomes TBD.
- The Savior (voiced by Steven Blum) - TBD
- Radical Grunts - common soldiers working for the Radicals.
- Radical Berserker - gigantic brute-like soldiers working for the Radicals.
- Radical Snipers - TBD
- Sberlx - small lion-like aliens found in Tueter.
- Radical Ship - common ships piloted by Radicals.
The game is referred to a mix of survival and high action. The game has four essentials to stay alive food, sleep, water and oxygen. Food and sleep are the only way to heal in the game as water and oxygen are necessary to survive. You can find food anywhere and have to find a bed to sleep which your ship always has. You can sometimes find water laying around or another form of a drink. Yet sometimes for water and necessary for oxygen you have to complete extraction missions that require you to extract solid water or oxygen from a planet as all planets have five extraction points for both. Collecting fuel is also necessary as if you are out of fuel your ship won't fly. However, there are also five fuel extraction points as well. The game also has a focus on combat as there is over 50 weapons you can fight enemies with and over 30 attachments to the ship. The game requires you to complete "primary" missions on planets to gain maps which allows you to travel to more planets. There are different types of missions. There are primary, secondary, extraction points, radical bases, challenges and convoys. Prime missions are missions on each planet that are required to be done to make it to other planets and are indicated on a map by a red triangle. Secondary missions are missions on each planet which are not needed to complete but can expand lore and develop characters as they are marked with a green circle. Extraction points were previously mentioned and are indicated with a yellow square. Radical Bases are bases ran by Radicals that can be took down by marked with a black X. Challenges are fun little quests that require you to use a certain weapon or technique to do some unique challenge being marked by a blue circle. Finally convoys are either on land or space and are mainly a group of enemies moving something valuable being marked with a brown arrow.
- Tueter - a jungle planet that the Explorer crash landed on.
- Henzao - a feudal Japan-inspired planet where it always rains.
- Noisternia - a giant planet home to a bunch of punk rockers and anarchists.
- Hellonis - a planet that is constantly on fire and is very dangerous.
- Fandima - a planet that is fantasy-like with real magic and mythical creatures.
- Gyros - a planet that is fully technologically advanced, yet despite that most inhabitants are cyborgs or androids.
- Stripania - a gigantic planet-sized strip club, filled with brainwashed strippers of many species, no worries they aren't hostile to you.
- Transplania - a dark and dreary planet inhabited by vampires, werewolves and human made monsters.
- Exodus - a planet controlled by a highly religious super group being out to spread their religion.
- Earth - the HQ of the UP and the final planet.
- Energy Blade - a sword made out of energy and one of the three default weapons.
- Energy Pistol - a pistol using energy and one of the three default weapons.
- Energy Grenade - grenades using energy and one of the three default weapons.
- Electro Gloves - a glove that emits electricity, causing damage.
- Explosive Sniper Rifle - a sniper that fires explosive bullets.
- Just a Regular Shotgun - a shotgun that is regular.
- Super Duper Machine Gun - a machine gun that fires a lot of rounds.
- El Fuego - a massive flamethrower capable of burning many enemies to a crisp.
- Explosive Teddy - teddy bears that explode on sentient impact.
- Bouncy Gun - a gun that can fire bounce pads to either boost the Explorer or attack the enemies.
- Polaris Gun
- Deoxygen Gun - a gun that allows the Explorer to steal bits of oxygen, benefiting him and damaging any enemies that need oxygen to breath.
- Time Gun - a gun that allows the Explorer to freeze enemies in time for a small period of time.
- Super Sonic Machine Gun - a weapon that can fire turns of Speed of sound missles.