Sonic and the Tomb Raider is an American English animated miniseries airing on Netflix, and a crossover between the video game franchises Sonic the Hedgehog by Sega and Tomb Raider by Crystal Dynamics.
Having moved his way from San Francisco, USA to London, England, Sonic the Hedgehog earns a new human friend with Lara Croft, the teenage hereditary of the Croft Family who aspires to be a notorious archaeologist and treasure hunter like her late father Richard Croft before her. The two undergo a series of adventures around the world while discovering mystical relics and standing against Jacqueline Natla and Dr. Robotnik; both seeking to capture Sonic for his superhuman speed powers, overthrow Lara and take over the Croft Family's fortunes. Among other foes and threats, Sonic and Lara also have to deal with the manipulations of Larson Stone, who is masquerading as an associate for both Robotnik and Natla for his own favors and purposes.
The characters and environment of the miniseries share the same animation tone of the 2000 film Gen¹³.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (voiced by Robbie Daymond) - One of the two core protagonists. A 15-year-old anthropomorphic blue hedgehog from Mobius with superhuman speed powers who is secretly living a life on Earth, and is spending his days with Lara in the Croft Manor after relocating from San Francisco, USA, to London, England. Having lived a life on Earth since his childhood, Sonic has been travelleing around numerous countries around the world (including Japan, Brazil, Spain, the USA, among others), and has visitted the Golden Realm more than once before he met Lara.
- Lara Croft (voiced by Melanie Minichino) - One of the two core protagonists. A 16-year-old wealthy English teenager who aspires to be a notorious archaeologist and treasure hunter like her late father Richard Croft before her, and is friends and roommates with Sonic. While she still wields a pair of dual guns as her main weapons, the guns (to contrast the video games, where they fire lead bullets) fire Ring Bullets, golden bullets which transform into Mobian Rings with the capabilities of opening teleportation portals, immobilizing enemies, etc.
- Gabriel (voiced by Eric Lopez) - An 17-year-old Brazilian teenager who was orphaned by the T-Rex King's assault against a Natla Corporation crew, and raised by the Golden Realm's tribe people, and has ever since grown up to become a skilled hunter. He is Lara's potential love interest.
- Sally Acorn (voiced by Felicia Day) - An 14-year-old anthropomorphic female Mobian chipmunk, and Sonic's girlfriend. She is also a resident of the Golden Realm, where she and Tails established a secret base of science and technology to help the island's local tribe.
- Lin Chang (voiced by Kelly Hu) - Lara's best friend and classmate, and a 16-year-old Japanese martial artist. She is also fond of Sonic, and has known him as the "Blue Samurai" since his debut in Japan.
- Miles "Tails" Prower (voiced by Tara Strong) - Sonic's best friend in Mobius, and 8-year-old twin-tailed anthropomorphic yellow fox who can fly by spinning his two tails. A scientific genius and inventor and resident of the Golden Realm alongside Sally, he is one of the designers of Lara's Ring Guns (alongside Allister).
- Zip (voiced by Zeno Robinson) - One of Lara's closest friends and a 17-year-old American Tech Expert.
- Knuckles the Echidna (voiced by Ogie Banks) - Sonic's rival-turned-friend and a 16-year-old Mobian echidna from Angel Island who is the guardian of the Master Emerald.
- Allister Fletcher (voiced by Max Mittelman) - One of Lara's closest friends and a 16-year-old English scientific genius and inventor, as well as one of the designers of Lara's Ring Guns (alongside Tails).
- Sophie Fletcher (voiced by Laura Bailey) - One of Lara's friends and Allister's younger sister.
- Nicole the Holo-Lynx (voiced by Kari Wahlgren; in a English accent) - Sally's best friend and surrogate sister, and a Mobian artificial intelligence system allied to Sonic. Initially having no actual form of her own, she was able to create a complex holographically simulated body-based on that of a Mobian lynx projected from her hand-held thanks to a Power Ring.
- WINSTON (voiced by Robin Atkin Downes) - Lara's butler and an A.I. system within the Croft Manor.
- Shadow the Hedgehog (voiced by Adam Baldwin) - A 50-year-old anthropomorphic black hedgehog who was created by Robotnik's grandfather Professor Gerald to be the "Ultimate Life Form", a lifeform capable of curing any disease. A immortal speedster of Sonic's level, he is part-time rival and part-time ally to Sonic, depending of his goals. While he is not close to Lara, her kindness for Sonic proves to be somewhat enough to remind Shadow of his deceased human friend and Professor Gerald's granddaughter Maria.
- Segata Sanshiro (voiced by Eric Bauza) - A Japanese master in the arts of Kung Fu, and one of Sonic's most potential mentors and teachers, who trained him in hand-to-hand combat.
- Larson Stone (voiced by David Kaye) - The show's overall primary antagonist. An enigmatic criminal who is masquerading as an ally for both Robotnik and Natla for his own favors and purposes, and is manipulating them both against each other. But his manipulate nature is no secret from Sonic and Lara, who had more than enough suspicions of him. The character is an amalgam of Larson (from Tomb Raider: Anniversary) and Agent Stone (from the 2020 Sonic the Hedgehog movie).
- Dr. Robotnik (voiced by Clancy Brown) - One of the show's primary antagonists. Sonic's arch-nemesis and the corrupt CEO of Robotnik Industries, who obsesses with absolute power. He is rivals with Natla. Having been banished to the Mushroom Planet following Sonic's battle against him in San Francisco, Robotnik relocated his headquarters and company in there so he may continue plotting his schemes and his revenge on Sonic.
- Orbot (voiced by Kirk Thornton) and Cubot (voiced by Wally Wingert) - Robotnik's main robotic henchmen, Orbot (the red orb-shaped robot) is the blunter, more formal of the two, often being totally honest even at Eggman's expense. Cubot (the yellow cube-shaped robot) is the slower, more dimwitted of the two, often misunderstanding the meaning of other characters' statements.
- Jacqueline Natla (voiced by Nika Futterman) - One of the show's primary antagonists. The corrupt head of Natla Corporation who seeks to end the Croft legacy. She is also rivals with Robotnik. Natla also carries a terrifying secret associated with the legends of Atlantis, and Lara and her friends are the only ones who know. In "Love is a Game", it is revealed that Natla was once one of the three rulers of Atlantis until she was banished by her brothers Tihocan and Qualopec and forced to live forever as a mortal for her crimes, including her declaration of war against the Echidna Tribe in the Mystic Ruins.
- Amanda Everett (voiced by Cassandra Lee Morris) - A 16-year-old American intern at Natla Corporation. She strongly dislikes Lara and her family, and sides with Natla to witness her downfall, but is unaware of her boss' true motives and nature, as Natla discreetly regards Amanda as "nothing more than a pawn in a game she does not know is being played".
- James Rutland (voiced by Vincent Martella) - Amanda's 17-year-old lover and partner under Natla's employ.
- Jerome "The Kid" Johnson (voiced by Sam Riegel) - The 20-year-old leader of an unnamed inner-city gang in Los Angeles, California, who secretly works for Natla. While he is loyal to Natla, he occasionally antagonizes Amanda, and holds personal grudges with Natla's bodyguard Kold Kin Kade, who was responsible for killing his most trusted gang members.
- Kold Kin Kade (voiced by Dave Fennoy) - Natla's bodyguard, and a mutated former prison convict with brute strength and long stamina. He was responsible for killing Johnson's most trusted gang members.
- Snively Kintobor (voiced by Steve Blum) - Robotnik's estranged nephew and former loyal assistant, who plans to usurp him in revenge of Robotnik's past abuse of him.
- Regina Ferrum the Iron Queen (voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn) - Snively's lover, and a rogue Atlantean witch with the ability to harness and manipulate metal.
- The Deadly Six - A clan of ruthless Zeti from the Lost Hex organized by Master Zik and led by Zavok.
- Zavok (voiced by Jonathan Adams) - The fearsome leader of the Deadly Six. He obsesses with stealing technology from both Robotnik and Natla, which he plans to use for a weapon to drain Earth and Mobius of their energies, and empower the Lost Hex.
- Zenna (voiced by Cree Summer) - A fashion-savvy Zeti and the only female member of the Deadly Six.
- Zazz (voiced by Richard Steven Horvitz) - A hyperactive, but psychotic Zeti and member of the Deadly Six.
- Zor (voiced by Sam Riegel) - A existentially nihilist Zeti and the youngest member of the Deadly Six.
- Master Zik (voiced by Andrew Kishino) - The founder and former leader of the Deadly Six, and the oldest of the Zeti.
- Zomom (voiced by Bill Fagerbakke) - A obese and dim-witted Zeti with an eating disorder and a member of the Deadly Six.
- The Hybrid - A mindless, monstrous humanoid with attributes of Sonic and Lara. The Hybrid is created by the merging between Metal Sonic and the Doppelgänger, as a result of a side-effect of the clones' attempt to return to the Present time from the dystopian post-apocalyptic future (caused by Metal Sonic and the Doppelgänger in their attempt to recreate Robotnik's doomsday weapon) they were left stranded into after it is undone by Sonic and Lara.
- Metal Sonic (voiced by Jim Meskimen) - A robotic clone of Sonic created by Robotnik to destroy him, until he rebelled against his creator and begun a crusade to overthrow Robotnik, and take over his technology. He and Lara's Doppelgänger later become the two halves of the Hybrid.
- The Doppelgänger - Lara's identical clone, created by an Atlantean witch under Natla's secret orders for the purpose of framing her. However (due to a few deformities), the Doppelgänger ended up rebelling against her creators and begun partnering with Metal Sonic with the purpose of revenge against their creators, although they still hate their templates. Her deformities also rendered the Doppelgänger mute. She and Metal Sonic later become the two halves of the Hybrid.
- The T-Rex King - A male grey-skinned Tyrannosaurus Rex from the Golden Realm, where he is considered the most feared predator. For many years, he has been terrorizing the inhabitants of the Golden Realm, and was considered impossible to defeat. His reign of terror eventually came to an end after he was defeated by Sonic and Lara, who managed to banish him to the Center of the Earth.
- Longclaw the Owl (voiced by Kari Wahlgren) - An anthropomorphic owl from Mobius, and Sonic's caretaker and adoptive mother.
- Amelia Croft (voiced by Kari Wahlgren) - Lara's deceased mother. While indirectly mentioned a few times in the first two episodes, she makes her full appearance in "Timeless Bond".
- Tikal the Echidna (voiced by Laura Bailey) - An anthropomorphic echidna spirit and a former member of the Echidna Tribe who resided in the Mystic Ruins 3,000 years ago, before becoming a banished Natla's replacement as Queen of Atlantis. She occasionally appears before Sonic and Lara, first to show them visions of the past, including the ones about Natla's true nature and origins, and later mentoring them on their recurring adventures.
- Tihocan (voiced by Steve Blum) - One of Natla's brothers and former fellow rulers of Atlantis.
- Qualopec (voiced by David Kaye) - One of Natla's brothers and former fellow rulers of Atlantis.
The show consists of 6 one-hour specials airing on Netflix.
|1||"Real Wild Friends"||Shortly after defeating Dr. Robotnik and banishing him to the Mushroom Planet, Sonic the Hedgehog decides to move from San Francisco, USA, to London, England. There, he has his eyes open on Lara Croft, the young hereditary of the Croft family who aspires to be an archaeologist and treasure hunter like her late father Richard Croft before her. Discovering that she is in possession of a box with Mobian Rings she found during her search for another relic, Sonic discreetly follows Lara and her high school classmates (including her two friends Lin Chang and Sophie Fletcher), who are being guided by Larson Stone in their field trip at the Golden Realm, an uncharted island which is rich with outstanding gold. Of course, the field trip will prove to be as dangerous as both Sonic and Lara predicted it would be, as the crew faces predatory creatures, such as a clan of man-eating cyclopes and the fearsome T-Rex King. Although she gets separated from her classmates and teachers during her attempt to lure the cyclopes away, getting lost in the jungle as a result, Lara eventually meets up with Sonic after he saves her from the cyclopes, and the two work together to overcome the perils of the Golden Realm, while also seeking to foil and expose a conspiracy against Lara's teachers orchestrated by Stone through Amanda Everett, as ordered by Jacqueline Natla. Their journey leads the duo to the Golden Realm's local tribal village, where they briefly meet young hunter Gabriel and Sonic's girlfriend Sally Acorn. In the episode's climax, after the T-Rex King is defeated and banished into the Center of the Earth, Stone's conspiracy is exposed, resulting in him being arrested, but also leading Amanda (whom the students accuse of having collaborated with Stone) to her expulsion, and Sonic and Lara are honored by the Golden Realm's village chief for their efforts. Later after returning home, Lara allows Sonic to secretly spend his days in her home, while the two are eager to enjoy some real adventures together once their summer vacations start next week. Feeling humiliated, Amanda continues to intern at Natla Corporation while vowing revenge on Lara, but is still unaware of her boss Natla's true motives. Meanwhile, Robotnik is shown having established a new headquarters with Orbot and Cubot in the Mushroom Planet, also looking for revenge on Sonic.|
|2||"Love is a Game"||In the first day of summer vacations, Sonic and Lara spend a peaceful morning at Petani Beach in Kefalonia, Greece, where they are also met with Gabriel and Sally, as well as their friends (including Miles "Tails" Prower, Lin, Sophie, and Sophie's older brother Allister Fletcher); all having also earned access to the Golden Realm a day after the field trip. As they enjoy their time together, the group begin to share knowledge about the lost underwater nation of Atlantis, which Sonic and Lara grow interested in exploring. Followed by Sally and Gabriel and with Tails and Allister monitoring them, Sonic and Lara reach Atlantis, where they seek to obtain its forgotten treasures, including Poseidon's Goblet. During their journey, Sonic and Sally recall memories of their previous trip in the Mobian Labyrith, while Lara gradually begins developing feelings for Gabriel. The group must also, however, deal with Robotnik's estranged nephew Snively Kintobor and his partner and lover, the rogue Atlantean witch Regina Ferrum the Iron Queen, who seek the Trident of Poseidon for their goals to overthrow Robotnik and Natla. Also seeking the Trident are Amanda and her lover James Rutland, still as ordered by Natla. The three groups will have bigger troubles when they come across the Kraken, who is willing to annihilate anyone who dares to reach the Trident. Knowing that the Trident will cause tremendous disasters if it falls in cold-hearted hands, Sonic and Lara also opt in preventing the villains from reaching it; even if it means to destroy the Trident to do so. Upon successfully destroying the Trident and defeating the Kraken during the issuing mayhem, Sonic and Lara come across the spirit of Tikal the Echidna, who shows them a vision of who and what Natla really was: the former Queen of Atlantis who was banished by her brothers and fellow kings Tihocan and Qualopec for starting a war with the Echidna Tibe, unleashing the Chao God Chaos and bringing about Atlantis' doom and forced to live as a mortal for all eternity. Later, after Amanda and Rutland return to Natla Corporation empty-handed and Snively and Iron Queen retreat, Sonic, Lara, Sally and Gabriel return to the surface with their treasures and resume their beach day with their friends, although they also vow to keep better eyes open on Natla, and stop her from rising back to power. Elsewhere, Snively and Iron Queen reluctantly break Larson Stone out of prison so he will help with their goals.|
|3||"Timeless Bond"||In Bolivia at the middle of the night, Lara explores the ruined city of Tiwanaku, while Sonic battles against his robotic clone Metal Sonic. During her expedition, Lara discovers the Dais of Time, which unlocks gateways to travel in time and space. Just as Lara is ambushed by her own Doppelgänger, Sonic rushes to help her, with Metal Sonic in pursuit. The issuing chaos triggers the Dais, sending Sonic, Lara and their clones into a post-apocalyptic version of the future, where humanity is extinct and the Mobians (including Sonic himself) were roboticized, and Natla has become a fallen goddess. Exploring the ruined world, they discover that the cause was Metal Sonic and the Doppelgänger having attempted to recreate Robotnik's discarded plans for the Doomsday Project, which even Robotnik viewed to be too risky for his own kind. Knowing what they must do, Sonic and Lara decide to reach the Dais of Time, and use it to return to the Present and destroy the Doomsday Project files permanently before their clones can obtain it. The duo venture across numerous ruins as they battle Metal Sonic and the Doppelgänger as well as Natla (who plans to merge with her past self to accomplish her own goals) and the roboticized Mobians, although Sonic's future self regains his senses upon seeing "his Lara" apparently alive again and helps them reach the Dais, leaving Metal Sonic and the Doppelgänger stranded in the future. The Dais, however, sends Sonic and Lara to 10 years before their current time before splitting in two. Sonic and Lara are put in different places of the past; Sonic is teleported to Nepal, where Lara lost her mother Amelia, and Lara lands on Mobius, where Sonic first discovered his powers before his caretaker Longclaw the Owl sent him to Earth for his safety. As they reach for the two halves of the Dais, Sonic and Lara further learn more of each other's background, understanding how similar they are to each other, during which a dying Amelia gives Sonic a letter addressed to her daughter, and Longclaw convinces Lara that any person she holds dear can be considered family regardless the origin. Despite their struggles, Sonic and Lara reunite and reassemble the Dais, successfully returning to their own place in time (with Sonic noticing they were back as if their journey never happened), and they find and destroy the Doomsday Project files, preventing the dystopian future from ever happening. Returning home at night, Sonic gives Lara the letter from her mother, and Lara (viewing Sonic as family) thanks him in tears of joy before they go sleep. Meanwhile in Avalon, Metal Sonic and the Doppelgänger manage to return from the future via a Dark Ring Portal. And as a result of Sonic and Lara changing the future, their clones have been hideously fused together into a mindless, monstrous hybrid. Episode ends with the creature screaming in anguish.|
Soundtrack consists of mixed and remixed version of the Sonic the Hedgehog and Tomb Raider video games.