Sir Arthur (アーサー卿 Lord Arthur?) is a video game character from the Ghosts 'n Goblins series (Demon World Village in Japan), originally debuting in the same-named game released in 1985. He is a completely hypthetical DLC Fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Great Fray Smash Bros. Special in Japan).
Arthur is a short, semi-heavyweight character who is around the same size as Mario/Sonic and as heavy as characters like Cloud/Link respectively. His running speed would be a bit below average while his air speed could be comparable to Corrin's and Bayonetta's with his walking speed being pretty very slow. This mobility reflects perfectly how slow he is in his games.
Arthur has a large variety of weapons at his disposal, which gives him a great kit of projectiles, zoning and stage-controlling tools. He even has access to some moves from his appearances in the Marvel vs. Capcom series. Overall, Arthur is similar to Mega Man and Simon/Richter Belmont in many aspects.
When he's around 100%, Arthur's armor will break and leave him on his underwear/boxers, making him slightly faster and lighter.
- Neutral Combo: Dagger - Arthur tosses a fast dagger/knife forwards in-front of him. Has decent range, but deals little damage/knockback. Can be used as a keep-away tool and tossed up to three times. Also, it has a fairly low ending lag and KO's at very high percentages. Furthermore, Arthur can move while throwing daggers once a player presses the attack button at least once.
- Side Tilt: Sword - Arthur swings his sword in-front of him. Has average range and deals a good amount of damage. Can be utilized to KO opponents at high percentages, but is very predictable and fairly easy to punish. Can protect Arthur from most projectiles.
- Up Tilt: Heavenly Slash - Arthur swings his sword upwards. Can be used as a combo starter and an anti-air move thanks to it's range and high priority.
- Down Tilt: Scythe - While crouching, Arthur tosses a scythe that acts like a boomerang, returning after being thrown. Can be used as a combo starter and deals a decent amount of damage due to it's multi-hitting properties. However, it has starting lag and can be very easy to punish.
- Dash Attack: Lance Charge - Arthur points his lance in-front him as he dashes forwards. Launches opponents and deals a moderate amount of damage/knockback. It's sweetspot is licated at the tip of a lance. Can KO at high percentages.
- Side Smash: Inferno Magic - Arthur releases flames from his hands similarly to Ryu's Hadouken. It has great range, deals a good amount of damage and possesses a high knockback power.
- Up Smash: Exploding Magic - Arthur generates a large explosion that engulfs his body. Can be used as an amazing tool for punishing air dodges and rolls. It deals a good amount of damage, knockback and has high ending lag.
- Down Smash: Thunder Magic - Arthur raises his hand up as three lightning bolts are fired left, up and right from his position. Has ridiculous range, but doesn't deal as much damage as other Smash Attacks.
- Neutral Air - Arthur tosses a dagger forward mid-air. Can be tossed up to three times. Works identically to his Neutral Combo.
- Forward Air - Same as his Side Tilt, Arthur swings his sword in-front of him.
- Back Air - Arthur bashes his shield backwards in a similar fashion to Palutena. This move can protect him from most attacks and deals a fairly high knockback power.
- Up Air: Discus - Arthur tosses a discus upwards, which is fairly slow and deals a decent amount of damage. Furthermore, a discus can be used as a comboing tool as well.
- Down Air: Axe - Arthur does a two-handed downward axe slash between his legs. Similar to Byleth's, except faster and stronger.
- Grab - Arthur stretches out his right arm to grab the opponent.
- Pummel - Arthur whacks the opponent with his sword.
- Forward Throw - Arthur heaves the opponent forwards with both arms.
- Back Throw - Arthur turns around and heaves the oppnent backwards with both arms.
- Up Throw - Arthur heaves the opponent directly upwards with both arms.
- Down Throw - Arthur body-slams the opponent with both arms.
- Neutral Special: Lance Toss - Arthur pulls out his lance and then tosses it straight-forward. Can be used as a solid zoning and edge-guarding tool. It deals a moderate amount of damage and can be tossed twice. Similarly to his Neutral Combo/Air, Arthur can toss lances and move at the same time if you press the special button at least once. It KO's opponents at high percentages.
- Side Special: Crossbow - Arthur shoots two arrows from his crossbow in an upward-diagonal direction, making it an efficient tool against opponents in mid-air. The arrow have an average speed and range and can be used as a great zoning and edge-guarding that KO opponents at higher percentages.
- Up Special: Dragon Shield - Arthur uses a Dragon Shield to fly in the air for a few seconds. While flying, the shield will also protect him from below and he will fall if his opponents hit the shield four times. It travels a suprisingly good vertical and horizontal distance. However, the Dragon Shield is very predictable and punishable.
- Down Special: Torch Toss - Similarly to Simon and Richter's Holy Water, Arthur tosses a torch in a short arc onto the ground and burns three to five flames. It deals a very small amount of damage, but it is an incredibly useful comboing and zoning tool. In addition, the torch does little knockback which can lead to some solid mix-ups.
- Final Smash: For the Princess! - Arthur extends his arms upwards and shouts "For the princess!" and he obtains the Emperor Armor while he is engulfed by a large sphere of light. If an opponent is hit by the sphere, Arthur utilizes the Goddess Bracelet and rapidly fires several projectiles followed by a Fire Dragon combo. It KO's opponents instantly if their percentages are above 50%.
Arthur walks in and picks up his silver armor, raising up his hand and then assumes his fighting stance similarly in Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds.
- Up: Arthur extends his left arm and shouts "Still going!"
- Side: Arthur crosses his arms and laughs.
- Down: A Magician appears and randomly transforms Arthur into a bee, seal, baby or a duck for a second, before turning back to normal.
- Arthur moves his arms around.
- Arthur raises his hand up, looking at the screen with a grin.
- A key is seen falling from the sky and Arthur grabs it with his hand as he shouts a random quote as seen below.
- Princess Prin-Prin appears, running to Arthur and kisses him on a cheek, making hearts appear above them. References an animation when he defeats Astaroth with a Shield in the original game of the franchise.
- A zombie is seen chased on-screen and a lance flies onto it, destroying it. Arthur then runs from the side of a screen and jumps into the air in victory.
Arthur claps to the winner on his armor or underwear depending on how he was KO'd.
A symphonic remix of the stage clear theme from Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.
Each stage will contain lots of content from the Ghosts 'n Goblins universe.
This stage is similar to Pac-Land, scrolling from a start of the first stage to the Unicorn boss from Ghosts 'n Goblins. Once the demon is defeated, the level starts all over again. In addition, zombies and other kinds of iconic mooks such as Demons from the series could be stage hazards as well with even Astaroth appearing on a background like in Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds.
Classic Mode: I'm Coming, Princess!
His classic Mode pits against Everyone in the roles of everyone else from the Ghosts 'n Goblins Universe.
- Ridley (Stage: Battlefield)
- Final Boss: Giga Bowser (Astaroth) and Ganondorf (Lucifer) (Stage: Dracula's Castle)
While Firebrand has spirits from his series Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest, Arthur has those from Ghosts 'n Goblins and Maximo.
- A Firebrand horde (Spirit: Red Arremer)
- A Giant Red Ridley (Spirit: Satan)
- A White Peach (Spirit: Princess Prin-Prin)
- A Giant Red Bowser with Super Armor (Spirit: Astaroth)
- A White Yoshi (Spirit: Unicorn)
- A Mii Brawler horde (Spirit: Zombies)
- A Group of Large Bowsers (Spirit: Big Man/Ogre)
- Two Blue Ridleys (Spirit: Dragon)
- A Brown Incineroar with Fire Flower/Superspicy Curry (Spirit: Lucifer)
- A Yellow Ganondorf (Spirit: Sardius)
- A Blue Zelda (Spirit: Magician)
- A Pink Marth (Spirit: Flying Knight)
- A Blue Ridley (Spirit: Bēruaroken)
- A Big Green and Purple Bowser (Spirit: Nebiroth)
- A Dark Red Ridley (Spirit: Dark Red Devil)
- A Big Dark Red Pikachu (Spirit: Arthror)
- A Big Red and Green Greninja (Spirit: Vermirous)
- A Big Green Skinned Ganondorf in Grey Clothes (Spirit: Shielder)
- A Mii Swordfighter with a Maximo costume and a Black Ganondorf with Death's Scythe (Spirits: Maximo and Grim)
Boxing Ring Title
"Chivalrous Knight of Honor" or "The Knightly Demon Slayer"
The Kirby Hat is based on him having Arthur's knight helmet and a brown beard. He also can use his Neutral Special, Lance Toss.
- "I will fight you, fair and square!"
- “Show me your mettle! ...Or something.”
- “Sir Arthur is ready to do battle!”
Quotes Against Everyone Else
- “It appears you too are looking for someone, fellow warrior!" (Vs. Mario)
- "You lack discipline, oh foreign knight!” (Vs. Any Fire Emblem character/Link/Cloud/Hero)
- "You are not the first demon I have encountered, vile beast!" (Vs. Ganondorf)
- "A dragon! A worthy opponent for a knight of honor!" (Vs. Bowser/Bowser Jr./Ridley)
- "Well fought, my friend! Though I thought thou would have improved since our last combat!" (Vs. Ryu/Ken/Chun-Li/Mega Man/Dante/Chris/Leon/Vergil/Mike Haggar)
- "You are strong. But you must regain your humanity, my fellow Monster Hunters." (Vs. Simon/Richter)
- "Ah! A tricky devil has appeared!" (Vs. Firebrand)
- "Cleared without a miss!"
- "Fear not! I'M COMING, PRINCESS!"
- "Ha ha ha ha! What good form!"
- "I cannot lose even one battle!"
- That was an easy battle! I didn't even have to beat you twice!”
- Grey - Arthur's default attire/armor.
- Gold - Based on the Golden Armor.
- Bronze - Based on the Bronze Armor.
- Red - Based on the Cursed Armor.
- Blue - Based on the Warrior Armor.
- Purple - Based on the Dark Armor.
- White - Based on his palette in the NES version of Ghosts 'n Goblins.
- Black - Smash-original.
For his reveal trailer, it would be a continuation of Simon and Richter Belmont's trailer with Mario and Peach joining them to save Luigi in Dracula's Castle, referencing how the first entries of Super Mario Bros. and Ghosts 'n Goblins were released in the same year and month (September 1985) for the NES with the latter having some similarities with the Castlevania franchise while at the same time, sharing its infamous extremely hard difficulty.
- Momotaru (Pirate Ship Higemaru)
- Lee Wong (Tiger Road)
- Zombie (Ghosts 'n Goblins)
- Lonely Astronaut (Section Z)
- Ravel the Elf (The King of Dragons)
- Arthur's Helmet/Armor (Ghosts 'n Goblins)
- Maximo (Maximo)
- Vargas the Dwarf (The King of Dragons)
- Derek the Fighter (The King of Dragons)
Other Capcom DLC Fighters
- Akuma (Street Fighter)
- Albert Wesker (Resident Evil aka Biohazard in Japan)
- Alex (Street Fighter)
- Amaterasu (Okami)
- Batsu Ichimonji (Rival Schools)
- Biff Slamkovich (Saturday Night Slam Masters)
- Cammy White (Street Fighter)
- Captain Commando (Captain Commando)
- Chris Redfield (Resident Evil aka Biohazard in Japan)
- Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
- Dante (Devil May Cry)
- Date Masamune (Sengoku Basara)
- Firebrand (Ghosts 'n Goblins aka Demon World Village in Japan)
- Frank West (Dead Rising)
- Gunloc (Saturday Night Slam Masters)
- Jill Valentine (Resident Evil aka Biohazard in Japan)
- Kou Shishido (Gotcha Force)
- Leon Scott Kennedy (Resident Evil aka Biohazard in Japan)
- M. Bison (Street Fighter)
- Mike Haggar (Final Fight)
- Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
- Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers aka Vampire in Japan)
- Nathan "Rad" Spencer (Bionic Commando)
- Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney aka Turnabout Trial in Japan)
- Roll (Megaman/Mega Man aka Rockman in Japan)
- Samanosuke Akechi (Omnimusha)
- Peter Benjamin Parker/Spider-Man (Marvel vs. Capcom/Avengers; alongside Disney and Marvel Entertainment)
- Strider Hiryu (Strider)
- Vergil (Devil May Cry)
- Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
- Wayne Holden (Lost Planet; he is accompanied with PTX-40A for parts of his Moveset)
- Zack and Wiki (Zack and Wiki; they fight together in a similar way to Banjo-Kazooie, the Ice Climbers and the Duck Hunt Duo)