Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Scott O'Brien|
|Produced by||Kristine Belson|
|Written by|| Xavier Shaquille|
(credited as Xavier Mosley)
|Based on|| Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi|
by Sam Register
|Starring|| Janice Kawaye|
Lara Jill Miller
|Music by||Danny Elfman|
|Edited by||Joyce Arrastia|
|Production companies|| Columbia Pictures|
Cartoon Network Studios
Sony Pictures Animation
Cartoon Network Films
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing|
|Release date|| February 25, 2028 (Hollywood premiere)|
March 1, 2028 (Japan)
March 3, 2028 (United States)
|Running time||80 minutes|
|Country|| United States|
|Box office||$185.7 million|
Puffy is a 2028 flash-animated adventure comedy film based on the TV series, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi. Produced by Cartoon Network Studios, Renegade Animation, Sony Pictures Animation and Cartoon Network Films and released by Columbia Pictures. Directed by Scott O'Brien with writer Xavier Shaquille. The film stars Janice Kawaye, Grey DeLisle, Hank Azaria and Lara Jill Miller as the main characters.
It was released in the United States on March 3, 2028. It received generally positive reviews, and was a box office success, earning $185.7 million worldwide against its $20 million budget.
The film takes place before the events of the series, with Ami and Yumi who must band together as friends in order to stop Julie Hinikawa and her plans for world domination.
- Janice Kawaye as Ami Onuki
- Grey DeLisle as Yumi Yoshimura
- Hank Azaria as Kaz
- Lara Jill Miller as Julie Hinikawa
Danny Elfman, known for his composing on the first two Spider-Man films by Sam Raimi, composes the film's score. The show's theme song for the film is written by Puffy AmiYumi and composed by Elfman.
- Despite Cartoon Network Studios having involvement in the film, Warner Bros. Pictures didn’t distribute it.
- The fifth Cartoon Network theatrical film, the first being The Powerpuff Girls Movie, the second being Regular Show: The Movie, the third being The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy and the fourth being The Powerpuff Girls Movie Part II.
- The first Sony Pictures Animation film to have a March release.
- The third Cartoon Network film to be distributed outside of Warner Bros. Pictures.
- The third Cartoon Network film to be produced in 2.35:1.
- Sony Pictures Animation's second film in collaboration with Cartoon Network.
Puffy received a PG rating (for action and for some rude humor) by the Motion Picture Association.
Puffy was theatrically released on March 3, 2028. It is released two days early in Japan on March 1. It had a world premiere in Hollywood on February 25.
Puffy will be released on Digital HD on May 16, 2028 and on DVD and Blu-ray on June 20, by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
Rotten Tomatoes gives the film an approval rating of 74% based on the 186 reviews and an average rating of 7.5/10. On Metacritic, it receives a score of 75 out of 100, based on 50 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gives the film an average grade of "A" on its A+ to F scale.
Puffy grossed $53.2 million in North America, along with $132.5 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $185.7 million, making it a box office success.