Olympus, USA is an America action-adventure comic book series published by Moonlake Comics since June 14, 2001. The series is set in a fictionalized version of the real world where the gods and monsters of Greek mythology are real.
The Greek gods, after a mysterious event known as "The Cataclysm", decide to form a new home on Earth. They build a city in America they dub "Olympus" after their old home and populate it with every god, monster, and hero they can. In the city of Olympus, the man who takes care of all the big-time criminal cases is Apollo Phoebus, son of Zeus, brother of Artemis, and the defeater of Olympus' evils.
- Apollo Phoebus - the main protagonist of the series who does his best to keep crime off the streets. He technically works with the mayor but certain laws and regulations don't apply to him, allowing him to have a vigilante-esque persona. He is the god of the sun and wields a golden rifle.
- Mayor Zeus Olympios - the head of Olympus and Apollo's father who is very eccentric. He has great love for his children and will do anything to keep Olympus crime-free and safe for the civilians. He is also the god of the sky and storms and is incredibly powerful.
- Deputy Mayor Hera Alexandros - Zeus' wife and the deputy mayor of Olympus. Hera has a strained relationship with Apollo due to him and his sister being born out of an affair. However, she does love her own children and, like Zeus, wants the best for Olympus. She is the goddess of marriage, family, and more.
- Capt. Heracles Invictus - the captain of the Olympus police who has a burning sense of justice but is also prone to fits of rage. He has a friendly rivalry with Apollo and the two have an ongoing bet as to which of them can arrest more people. He is half-blood but is physically stronger than all the other gods.
- Artemis Agrotera - Apollo's twin sister and a police officer who has complicated feelings about her brother. The two have had many arguments in the past and she sees him as being immature but she also stands up for him when anyone other than herself picks on him. She is the virgin god of the moon and the hunt and wields a silver rifle.
- Athena Pallas - the goddess of warfare and wisdom who is a secret agent that handles high-level threats in Olympus. She doesn't enjoy talking and when she does it's usually a few words at a time. She always wears a biker's helmet and carries a spear and a "mirror shield" that is able to deflect energy-based attacks and bullets.
- Hermes Kriophoros - TBA
- "The Black King" - the overarching antagonist of the series. The identity of The Black King remains a mystery for a good chunk of the series' duration and characters don't like saying his real name due to it invoking terror. He is the one responsible for The Cataclysm and the destruction of Mount Olympus.
- Ares Miaiphonos - a crime lord in Olympus who is immensely powerful both physically and in the criminal underworld. He has never been arrested due to the fact nothing can be directly connected to him. He mainly focuses on underground fighting and gang wars. He is the god of war and carries an item that can turn into any weapon he pleases.
- Enyo - Ares' companion and his second-in-command. She is a Daimon and a spirit of bloodlust. She is Ares' top enforcer and is a terrifying and sadistic woman that enjoys breaking down her enemies while fighting them. She carries a pair of knives with her wherever she goes.
On August 15, 2011, NBCUniversal picked up the rights to create a series based on Olympus, USA that they planned to air on the Syfy network. The series was announced to be in-development in 2012 and NBCUniversal were in talks with actor Steve Talley to play Apollo due to his role as Kyle Wick on the CW series The 100. A pilot for the series, written by Supernatural and The Magicians writer Sera Gamble, was written and it seemed as if the series was going to be made. However, in 2014, Moonlake made a deal with ViacomCBS that caused Viacom to own the rights to produce all adaptions of Moonlake Comics works. Due to this, the Syfy series was cancelled.
A few years later on June 20, 2017, ViacomCBS announced that they had decided to go through with making an Olympus, USA series. The series had Vikings star Alexander Ludwig attached to play Apollo and singer Sabrina Carpenter to play Artemis. The initial estimation was that the series would premiere in August of 2020 but, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the series was pushed back until February 18, 2021. The first episode of the series managed to air on this date and the first season aired form February to May on Showtime.
On April 10, 2013, Telltale Games announced that they had been working on a video game based on Olympus, USA. It was announced that the game would be an episodic choose your own adventure and a prequel to the comic, not unlike Telltale's Walking Dead and Fables games. The first episode of the game was released on September 23, 2015, and its final episode was released on May 12, 2016.
- Many characteristics are taken directly from Greek mythology. For example, Apollo and Artemis were rivals in the Greek myths, though in the myths they were depicted more as hunting rivals.
- The characters' last names are referred to as "epithets" and describe what they are/what they're known for.
- Certain characters (such as Enyo) don't have an epithet. Usually, this means they are not gods.