Kodiak: The Dog Timestopper is an American-Irish animated television series being created by Diana Uhlman, being her second series, after The Face Paint World Life. It is produced by Rhythmic Uhlman Productions (credited only), Cartoon Saloon and Cartoon Network Studios, and aired on Cartoon Network from October 9th, 2008 til June 14th, 2013.
A HBO Max film, serving as the de facto series finale, titled Kodiak: The Epic Mission, is set to be released on September TBDth, 2021.
In the anthropomorphic animals, set in the fictional utopian/normal hybrid city of Novasburg, New York, a dog teenager is chosen to become the next Timestopper, using those powers to save the world while also exploring his deceased father's past.
- Kodiak McBonekins/The Timestopper (voiced by Quinton Flynn) - a Brussels Griffon 10th grader who is chosen to be the next Timestopper, using it for heroic purposes while exploring his father's past.
- Jillian "Jill" McBonekins (voiced by TBD) - a Yorkshire Terrier who is Kodiak's mother. She is [make her aware of her husband's previous Timestopper times and Kodiak being the timestopper or make her not aware?]
- Hiskers (voiced by Mark Hamill) - a cat who is the first-ever Timestopper, now a spiritual being, aiding Kodiak on his journey.
- Tina Miki (voiced by Jessica DiCicco) - a sweet tanuki who has a crush on Kodiak, and later on started dating him in Season 3.
- Jorge Miki (voiced by David Kaufman) - a trash-talking, but warm-hearted tanuki who is Tina's older brother.
- [Tina and Jorge's father]
- Hank McBonekins/The Timestopper (previous) (voiced by Chris Cox) - a Brussels Griffon who was Kodiak's father, as well as the previous Timestopper before his death.
- Finnsley McFins (voiced by Carlos Alazraqui) - an angelfish who is the news reporter.
- Wendy Walrus (voiced by Grey DeLisle) - a walrus who is also the news reporter.
- Jared Ferrewright/Prank-Kid (also voiced by Quinton Flynn) - a prankster ferrett who TBD. He would go on to join Kodiak's Heroic Novas.
- Blayne Squirrely/Nut-Bar (voiced by Jeff Bergman) - a hyper, but protective squirrel who becomes hyper with candy. He would go on to join Kodiak's Heroic Novas.
- TP-56 (voiced by Rodger Bumpass) - a time robot being made by a mysterious scientist who aids Kodiak at times.
- Professor Clayton Coarse (voiced by Greg Baldwin) - a coyote who invents stuff, also being an inventor of TP-56. It is hinted that he and Hank were close friends prior to the latter's death.
- Kandy Wakeman/Plasmafists (voiced by Cree Summer) - a pig who is born with electricity. She would go on to join Kodiak's Heroic Novas.
- Fu Chu "The Jade Dragon" (voiced by Dante Basco) - a chinese panda martial arts student who is known by his nickname of The Jade Dragon, often unleashing his inner ragon spirit and chi. He would go on and join the Heroic Novas, being the only one without a superhero name, instead using his nickname.
- Nicole "Nikki" Lakes/Light-Speed (voiced by TBD) - a mongoose who is born with superspeed, but tried to keep it a secret. She would go on to join Kodiak's Heroic Novas.
- Donald Clawson/The Time Protector (voiced by Clancy Brown) - the alternate dimension of Donald, being the protector of Novasburg, protecting it from the hands of Kaidok.
- Donald Clawson/Super Evil Time Lord (also voiced by Clancy Brown) - the self claimed lord of evilness who TBD.
- Harvey Stompers/Apocalypse (voiced by Roger L. Jackson) - a hippopotamus who love to TBD.
- James Woofe/Ice Cream Man (voiced by Sam Riegel) - a wolf who is disguised as a ice cream man, wanting to rob banks, destroy all happiness of the children, and importantly, destroy Kodiak.
- Jekyll Hydeson/Spoiler (voiced by Eric Bauza) - a coyote who loves to spoiler movies as his "evil ego", but is more like an annoying one than a threat.
- Pengin Flappers/Frostbite (also voiced by Jessica DiCicco) - a penguin who is taken from Antartica, and as revenge, attempts to turn Novasburg to an Ice Age.
- Kaidok (also voiced by Quinton Flynn) - an evil parallel version of Kodiak from a dimension where good and evil swapped.
- Shock Mark (voiced by TBD) - a villainous goose who can control electricity.
- Mad Betsy (voiced by Kari Wahlgren) - A crazy goat who wants to cause mayhem.
- Andrew Hoggins/Bang (voiced by Jack DeSena) - a explosive-loving hog who loves to plant bombs, wrecking havoc in Novasburg.
- TBD/PaintPunk (voiced by TBD) - A teenage girl squirrel who loves to cause vandalism by using her living paints.
- EV-8L (voiced by Fred Tatasciore) - a robot machine who TBD.
- The Queen of The Bees (voiced by TBD) - a gigantic bee living in planet Beetopia who kidnaps people and forces them to collect their honey.
- Haywire (voiced by TBD) - a robot meant to bring peace and harmony that has gone wrong, and does the opposite (bringing destruction and chaos) and often haywiring to sleep, hence his name.
- Mako (voiced by Nolan North) - a spiritual Chinese Dragon who was against Fu Chu and his family for TBD. He eventually reforms in the end of the episode, deciding to live in Novasburg to make sure the family, along with Kodiak and the Novasburg citizens, are safe.
- [magician villain]
- Mattison "Mattie" Barkie/Shadow Hawk (voiced by TBD) - a Yorkshire Terrier who was Kodiak's ex-girlfriend that, after learning that Kodiak and Tina became close, got jealous with Tina and became Shadow Hawk in an attempt to attack her.
- Fishy Furrtail/Dr. Emptyface (also voiced by Mark Hamill) - a cat with a blank mask he always wears. He depises his first name, being preferred to be called either Furrtail or Dr. Emptyface.
- Neo Squid (voiced by Jim Cummings) - A talking mutant squid with the ability to control people with its tentacles.
- Recyclone (voiced by TBD) - a mysterious creature who turns people who recycle into minions that work for him.
- Wayne (voiced by TBD) - TBD
- CyDog (voiced by TBD) - a cruel beagle cyborg who wants to cause havoc.
Production started in 2004, while Uhlman was working on The Face Paint World Life, she stated that she has plans for an action show. She was offered by Cartoon Network to produce an animated series after they were really impressed with The Face Paint World Life, with her accepting it.
The animation for the series is being outsourced to Cartoon Saloon's own animation studio in Ireland.
HBO Max film adaptation
The upcoming movie will serve as a de facto series finale, set to be released on September TBDth, 2021.
Kodiak: The Dog Timestopper received critical acclaim from critics, with critics praising it for the animation, art-style, writing, right blend of action and humor and the characters. The score on Rotten Tomatoes is "96%", with the critical consensus reading "While not as memorable as The Face Paint World Life, Kodiak proves to be a very fun experience filled with good animation and exciting stories that will make you scream in excitement". On MetaCritic, the score is currently "85 to 100", indicating "universal acclaim".
Lesbian creator controversy
In 2011, Cartoon Network Interactive released a video game based off Kodiak: The Dog Timestopper. It is released for the Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Currently, WB Games are in talks to produce a second Kodiak game.
The series was available to stream on Netflix before being removed on May 2020, eventually moving to HBO Max for streaming rights since June 26th, 2020. The series also reran on Boomerang and currently has reruns on WB Kids.
Promotions & Merchandise
- This is Diana's first series with her own company producing, since her previous series didn't have its involvement, mainly since it wasn't founded at the time.
- In contrast to The Face Paint World Life, which was aimed for girls, this show is mainly aimed for male audiences.
- This is the second Cartoon Network show to be made by a gay/lesbian person.
- This is the third flash-animated Cartoon Network show, after Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Hi-Hi Puffy AmiYumi.
- This is the second Cartoon Network show to be created by a woman, after Elisha Lake-Quinn's Animals in the Strange Land.
- Four of the actors, Quinton Flynn, Jessica DiCicco, Jeff Bergman (later on to be succeeded by Eric Bauza) and Grey DeLisle, both voiced characters for The Face Paint World Life as Matthew, Ocean, Collin and Maddie, respectively.
- Cartoon Network Studios
- 2008-2010 ones:
- The custom animation has Kodiak using his time powers to freeze time, and then punches out the "O" in the logo as time resumes, in time with the logo closing.
- [second one used only in one episode, may considering having one of the CN characters as cameo.]
- [2010-2013 one]
- 2008-2010 ones:
- Cartoon Network Studios