Hamtaro's Really Big Movie is an American-Japanese animated adventure comedy family film, loosely based on the Japanese children's manga and storybook series Hamtaro by Ritsuko Kawai, and more closely based on the classic TV Tokyo series adapted from it. This film was directed by Osamu Nabeshima, produced by Shogakukan Entertainment and TMS Entertainment, and originally released to theaters by Warner Bros. Pictures on August 11, 2017.
The film depicts a hamster named Hamtaro (Kurumi Mamiya) running away and get back Travis for Laura with The help of his best friends. Ernie (Takeshi Kitano), the Dwarfish hamster, his chidren Benny and Sarah
This was After Hamtaro's last episode on March 31, 2006. The film was dedicated to Thanks for Watching from episode 296, and it serves as the series finale.
- Hamtaro (ハム太郎 Hamutarō )
- Voiced by: Kurumi Mamiya (Japanese), Chiara Zanni (English)
- Owned by Laura, Hamtaro is a courageous Ham-Ham who's always ready to help out his friends and his owner Laura. However, he cannot stand being ignored by Laura. He is clueless about many things being that he is of an innocent nature, especially love (much to Bijou and Sparkle's dismay). Hamtaro makes the most of his life as a Syrian hamster (8.6cm) and lives each day in happiness hoping to make more friends and have fun. Hamtaro usually ends his sentences with "noda" (のだ) or "nanoda" (なのだ), a phrase often used by playful characters in the Japanese version. This is changed to, "Hamha!", "Heke", "Packa-packa", and "kush-kush" in the English version.
- Bijou (リボンちゃん Ribon-chan )
- Voiced by: Kazusa Murai (Japanese), Chantal Strand (English)
- Owned by Maria. She is a somewhat unworldly hamster who loves her blue ribbons, but she is not above getting dirty when she needs to help her friends, and has been known to be generous and helpful. She used to live in France before moving to where she is now, but she feels attached to Japan and has even refused to go back to France. In the Japanese version, she speaks normal Japanese and adds the words "dechuwa" (でちゅわ) (most likely a hamster version of "desu wa") at the end of her sentences, while the English version of Bijou has a French accent. The name "Bijou," is French for "small, exquisitely wrought trinket", or it can also mean "jewel". She has a huge crush on Hamtaro (this is proven in the first episode, when she winked at him after their dancing performance).
- Oxnard (こうしくん Koushi-kun )
- Voiced by: Rikako Aikawa (Japanese), Saffron Henderson (English)
- Owned by Kana. Oxnard is Hamtaro's best friend in the series and the first Ham-Ham he meets. Oxnard is a bit clumsy at times and has a love for delicious food, especially sunflower seeds (of which he always carries one around). He breaks down in tears when he loses the sunflower seed he carries around. He was originally an easily frightened Ham-Ham, but he has become braver and more dependable in recent episodes. Oxnard has a crush on his close childhood friend Pepper. His Japanese name translates to "calf", which is probably referring to his spotted cow-like fur and his large appetite.
- Boss (タイショーくん Taishō-kun )
- Voiced by: Kentarō Itō (Japanese), Ted Cole (English)
- A wild field hamster who wears a helmet and carries a shovel. The self-proclaimed leader of the Ham-Hams, Boss has a huge crush on Bijou. He often tries to look like he knows everything, only to have it backfire in his face. He has a bit of a temper, but he is very dependable, courageous, and nice, even shy at times (especially around Bijou). Because he is a field hamster, he is more familiar with nature and is more independent compared to the other Ham-Hams. He has even developed a field hamster sense that instinctively tells him what kind of weather is approaching. However, he cannot deal with the sea as he is prone to sea sickness. Near the end of Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak, it is hinted that he has a small crush on Harmony. Later in the series, Boss develops a crush on other girl-hams, such as Gelato and Oshare.
- Pashmina (マフラーちゃん Mafurā-chan )
- Voiced by: Rei Sakuma (Japanese), Tabitha St. Germain (English)
- Owned by June. Considered to be a very maternal Ham-Ham, as she takes care of Penelope. She loves the color pink and always wears her pink scarf. Dexter and Howdy often fight for her affection, but she does not seem to notice (sometimes acting like a mediator for them). She feels that she is too young for a relationship anyway. Her Japanese name translates to "scarf", while her English name is based on the word pashmina.
- Penelope (ちび丸ちゃん Chibimaru-chan )
- Voiced by: Kaori Matoi (Japanese), Jocelyn Loewen (English)
- Owned by Kylie. Considered the youngest of all the Ham-Hams, Penelope is usually never seen without the cover of her yellow blanket (though a few seconds in the opening theme show her blanket coming off, revealing her brown and white fur). Although she is friendly to everyone, she feels particularly attached to Pashmina. Being innocent and naive, due to her age, she gets into trouble more often than most of the other Ham-Hams. In season two, she has shown some cross-species affection for Herbert the Pig, a boy by the name of Ethan (Kylie's younger cousin), and a rabbit at Ethan's school. Unlike the other Ham-Hams, and perhaps because of her young age, Penelope can't say anything more than "Ukyu" (うきゅ) in the Japanese version, and "Ookwee" or "Ookyoo" in the English version.
- Maxwell (のっぽくん Noppo-kun )
- Voiced by: Takako Honda (Japanese), Brad Swaile (English)
- Owned by the eldest son of a bookstore owner (though it seems that the bookstore owner's daughter is the one who cares for him). He always carries a book with him, and is often turned to for information. He seems to know a lot about science and literature due to his love of reading. He is a little taller than the other Ham-Hams, partially due to his tall ears. He has a crush on Sandy, though it is never initiated until Hamtaro tells him about Sandy's feelings.
- Sandy (トラハムちゃん Torahamu-chan )
- Voiced by: Haruna Ikezawa (Japanese), Brittney Wilson (English)
- Owned by Hillary. A sporty young girl Ham-Ham who carries a ribbon, and is the twin sister of Stan. Her interest in rhythmic gymnastics have been influenced by Hillary, who is a gold medal gymnast. She has a crush on Maxwell. While in the English version it might seem that the two have confessed their affections, a Japanese episode confirms that they are not quite romantically involved yet. In the English version, she has a valley girl accent. She is also shown to be good friends with Hamtaro, as she confided in him her crush on Maxwell.
- Stan (トラハムくん Torahamu-kun )
- Voiced by: Kōki Miyata (Japanese), Michael Coleman (English)
- Owned by Noel. Sandy's twin brother, who is often caught flirting with the other girls. As a result, he is often an annoyance to the other guys, especially Boss, Howdy, and Dexter. Initially, Sandy and Stan were separated, after Noel (who had a crush on Hillary) offered to take care of one of her hamsters. He is often seen shaking his maracas or riding his skateboard. Stan seems to have a crush on Flora (the nurse ham); unlike other ham-girls, Stan does not flirt with her.
- Howdy (まいどくん Maido-kun )
- Voiced by: Yū Sugimoto (Japanese), Paul Dobson (English)
- Owned by Goldie. A Ham-Ham notorious for telling bad jokes, especially at the worst possible time. He speaks with a kansai dialect in the Japanese version and with an American Southern accent in the English version. He and Dexter are long-time friends but often fight with each other over the affections of Pashmina, whom they both have a crush on.
- Snoozer (ねてるくん Neteru-kun )
- Voiced by: Yū Sugimoto (Japanese), Cathy Weseluck (English)
- A mysterious hamster that Boss found in his hideaway (which would soon become the Clubhouse). It is unknown where he came from. He is always sleeping, but often utters some helpful advice when the Ham-Hams are in need of it. In the English version, he talks with a lisp. His Japanese name is based on the word "neru" (寝る to sleep), while his English name is based on the word "snooze".
- Dexter (めがねくん Megane-kun )
- Voiced by: Chihiro Suzuki (Japanese), Samuel Vincent (English)
- Owned by Curtis. A refined hamster, who is incredibly smart. He loves Pashmina, but often battles with his long-time friend, Howdy, for her affection. His Japanese name is a pun: Megane means "glasses" in reference to the tan markings of fur around his eyes that makes him look like he's wearing glasses. Coincidentally, his owner is an optometrist.
- Cappy (かぶるくん Kaburu-kun )
- Voiced by: Ai Uchikawa (Japanese), Ellen Kennedy (English)
- Owned by Kip and Sue. One of the younger Ham-Hams, Cappy loves hats. The two hats he most commonly wears are his green swimming cap, and the giant red saucepan that he usually hides under. While he loves his home, he does not like being spoiled, and looks up to Boss due to Boss's independence as a field hamster. He has developed some sort of a rivalry with Stucky, especially when it comes to hide and seek. His Japanese name is based on the word "kaburu" (被る to wear/put something on one's head), while his English name is based on the word "cap".
- Panda (パンダくん Panda-kun )
- Voiced by: Yūko Saitō (Japanese), Jillian Michaels (English)
- Owned by Mimi. A Ham-Ham whose fur matches his name, he is the sweet and gentle-natured builder/carpenter of the Ham-Hams who built and repaired many things throughout the duration of the anime as well as in the game. He also designed the Ham-Ham Fun Park. Mimi's parents own and operate a wood working shop in their house, meaning Panda always has access to construction supplies.
- Jingle (トンガリくん Tongari-kun )
- Voiced by: Yū Asakawa (Japanese), Terry Klassen (English)
- A field hamster. Appears occasionally throughout the series (usually when someone loses something). He speaks in rhymes, which often confuse the other Ham-Hams, but they soon figure out what he means. He is clueless about many things, but tends to give wise advice. Always seen carrying his guitar. In 'Hamtaro, Please Come Home' and all other appearances afterwards, he is seen with Herbert the Pig. He has a habit of forgetting names. Whenever he appears, he usually mispronounces someone's name (Hamtaro most of the time). Whenever he is corrected, he usually replies "You changed your name again?"
- Lapis (ラピスちゃん Rapisu-chan )
- Voiced by: Saeko Chiba (Japanese)
- Owned by newcomer Maggie O'Hara. She and Lazuli live in Jewelry House next to Maki's house. She likes jewels and sparkling objects like diamonds and so on. She seems to have a crush on Hamtaro.
- Lazuli (ラズリーちゃん Razuri-chan )
- Voiced by: Akane Ōmai (Japanese)
- Owned by newcomer Maggie O'Hara along with her sister, Lapis. She likes sweets and candy as well as using various potions to create magical seeds that turns into either animals or flying clouds. She seems to have a crush on Snoozer as in Season 3 and 4, she is seen with him fairly often.
- Pepper (じゃじゃハムちゃん Jyajyahamu-chan , Jajahamu)
- Voiced by: Motoko Kumai (Japanese), Nicole Oliver (English)
- Pepper is the girlfriend of Oxnard. She is the pet hamster of Kana's cousin, Dylan, who lives in the country. Compared to Oxnard, she is a lot braver and can be very rough. She ends up marrying Oxnard in the final episode.
- Laura Haruna (春名 ヒロ子 Haruna Hiroko , Hiroko Haruna)
- Voiced by: Haruna Ikezawa (Japanese), Moneca Stori (English)
- Hamtaro's owner and the main human character. Also known as Roko-chan. Laura cares for Hamtaro very much, just as Hamtaro cares for her. Several episodes involve the Ham-Hams trying to help Laura with whatever problem she is facing. She is best friends with Kana, and has a huge crush on her friend Travis. She is one of the two human characters who can actually talk to the Ham-Hams and is in the 5th grade.
- Marian Haruna (春名 ヒロミ Haruna Hiromi , Hiromi Haruna)
- Voiced by: Rei Sakuma (Japanese), Cathy Weseluck (English)
- Laura's mother, and Forrest's wife.
- Forrest Haruna (春名 ユメ太郎 Haruna Yumetarō , Yumetarō Haruna)
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Isobe (Japanese), Samuel Vincent (English)
- Laura's father. He and Kana's father, Conrad, tend to become competitive with one another.
- Brandy (どんちゃん Don-chan )
- Voiced by: Rikako Aikawa (Japanese), Don Brown (English)
- Laura's dog. His real name is Brandon (ブランドン Burandon ). Brandy rarely does anything except yawn, but he has been considered a great friend to the Ham-Hams (He saved Boss and Bijou from drowning in episode 56 Boss, the Cool Ham of the Sea! and the Ham-Hams made him his own scarf in episode 72 The Knitting Craze.) In many of the dreams that the Ham-Hams have, Hamtaro rides Brandy. In several of those cases, he can fly. In one episode, he was even able to talk, due to Lazuli giving him a magical cookie that could make dogs talk.
- Kana Iwata (岩田 カナ Iwata Kana )
- Voiced by: Ai Uchikawa (Japanese), Daniella Evangelista (English)
- Oxnard's owner. Kana met Laura the day Laura moved in and they have become the best of friends since then. She is also a very talented artist.
- Maria (マリアちゃん Maria-chan )
- Voiced by: Megumi Toyoguchi (Japanese), Brittney Wilson (English)
- The owner of Bijou. Maria is a talented pianist. She and Laura only became friends in season 2 (they never meet in season 1).
- Travis (木村 太一 Kimura Taichi , Taichi Kimura)
- Voiced by: Yū Asakawa (Japanese), Matt Smith (English)
- Laura's friend and the school's best soccer player. Laura has a huge crush on him and it is shown that he returns her feelings.
- Roberto Arvelo (ロベルト高城 Roberuto Takagi , Roberto Takagi)
- Voiced by: Sachi Matsumoto (Japanese), Matt Hill (English)
- He becomes Laura's classmate in season 2. Roberto is a very arrogant but talented soccer player on the school soccer team. He often argues with Travis and Laura, but Roberto is really a nice guy who is often misunderstood. He is also a dog lover, and is fond of Laura's dog Brandy. He has a puppy named Samba who debuted in episode 97, "Who Stole My Shoe?" It is implied that he has a small crush on Laura. Roberto is half-Japanese and half-Brazilian.
- Voiced by: Takeshi Kitano (Japanese), Wayne Brady (English)
- Anne's Husband who helps Hamtaro to get back Travis for Laura
- Voiced by: Takeshi Kitano (Japanese), Jenna Elfman (English)
- Ernie's wife, shes encourages Ernie for helping Hamtaro, Bijou, Orxard, Boss, and Brandy who get back Travis for Laura
- Voiced by: Takeshi Kitano (Japanese), John Goodman (English)
- Ernie's son is a Dwarfish hamster. He help his father who helps Hamtaro, Bijou, Orxard, Boss, and Brandy who get back Travis for Laura
- Voiced by: Takeshi Kitano (Japanese), Jenna Elfman (English)
- Ernie's daughter is Russian hamster. She help his brother and his father who helps Hamtaro, Bijou, Orxard, Boss, and Brandy who get back Travis for Laura
- Voiced by: Takeshi Kitano (Japanese), Jenna Elfman (English)
- Benny and Sarah's little brother. He encourages his father for helping Hamtaro, Bijou, Orxard, Boss, and Brandy who get back Travis for Laura
- Voiced by: Takeshi Kitano (Japanese), Judge Reinhold (English)
- Ernie's dog who help Ernie, Benny and Sarah who helps Hamtaro, Bijou, Orxard, Boss, and Brandy who get back Travis for Laura
The film was released in theaters in Japan and the United States on August 11, 2017.
Home media release
Hamtaro's Really Big Movie is released on Blu-ray (2D and 3D), DVD and Digital HD on November 6, 2017 by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The DVD includes "Finding a Friend : Behind the Scenes" featurette and two deleted scenes.
The film made its world premiere on the TV Tokyo on April 29, 2018 and in the United States, The film premiered on Cartoon Network on May 9, 2018.
Soundtrack The soundtrack of the movie was released on July 20, 2017 by Warner Bros Records. It includes score tracks composed by Motoyoshi Iwasaki.
- "Until I Go" – Kyle Gordon as Hamtaro
- "You and Me" – Jody Gray as Hamtaro
- "Until I Go Reprise" – Laura Berman as Travis
- "Home Where I Belong" – Romaine Jones
- "My New Happy Song (Hamtaro Japanese ED 3)"
The film earned $125 million, and did okay in the box office getting money back from its $23 million budget.
- English - Hamtaro's Really Big Movie
- Japanese - ハムタロ、映画：トラヴィスをローラに戻す操作
- German - Hamtaro, Der Film: Operation, um Travis zurück zu Laura zu bringen
- French - Hamtaro, Le Film : Operation faire revenir Tristan pour Laura
- Spanish - Hamtaro, La Película: Operación para hacer que Travis regrese a Laura
- Italian - Hamtaro, Il Film: L'operazione per far tornare Travis a Laura
- The movie will serves as the series finale to Hamtaro
- Laura is upset since Travis is moving away. But after Hamtaro and friends are return after say goodbye at Ernie and his family, Laura is happy when Travis does returns
- Laura find Travis during the scene Laura and Travis's Reunion
- Main article: Hamtaro's Really Big Movie/Transcript
- Main article: Hamtaro's Really Big Movie/Trailer transcripts
- Main article: Hamtaro's Really Big Movie/Credits