This article is a non-fanon page. Non-fanon means if it is not fanmade or it is also canon.
|“||I am Groot!||„|
|~ Groot's only known lines|
Groot is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Created by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber and Jack Kirby, the character first appeared in Tales to Astonish #13 (November 1960). An extraterrestrial, sentient tree-like creature, the original Groot first appeared as an invader which intended to capture humans for experimentation.
The character was reintroduced as a heroic, noble being in 2006, and appeared in the crossover comic book storyline "Annihilation: Conquest". Groot went on to star in its spin-off series, Guardians of the Galaxy, joining the team of the same name. He is also most notable for his partnership with fellow Guardian Rocket Raccoon. Groot has been featured in a variety of associated Marvel merchandise, including animated television series, toys and trading cards. Vin Diesel voices Groot in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), and Avengers: Endgame (2019), while Krystian Godlewski played the character via motion capture in the first film. Fred Tatasciore voices Groot on the Disney California Adventure ride Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout. Diesel will return to voice the character in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. Diesel also voiced Groot as a cameo in the 2018 Disney animated film Ralph Breaks the Internet. Since his film premiere and animated series debut, Groot has become a pop culture icon, with his repeated line "I am Groot" becoming an Internet meme.
Appearances in Idea Wiki
- Groot appears in Avengers Unleashed, voiced by Travis Willingham.
- The MCU version of Groot appears in Iago PUC's Avengers Animated Trilogy, voiced by Eric Bauza as a teenager, and Travis Willingham as an adult.
- Groot (in his "Baby Groot" state from Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout) appears as a main character in A Marvel Christmas Carol (a follow-up sequel to Marvel's Spider-Man: Webbed Champion), voiced by Jessica DiCicco. He is shown to have joined Spider-Man's team of the Champions some time after the heroes' battle against the Regent, although he is still associated to the Guardians of the Galaxy. Groot is also shown to have become close friends with Jack Thompson and Cassie Lang. He is first seen with the Champions battling Frost Giants in New York before helping prepare the Christmas party at the main F.E.A.S.T. Shelter. Later, after overhearing of Vincent Dawson's poor condition, Groot joins Spider-Man on his plan to reform Vincent's abusive boss Franklin Todd with help from Doctor Strange. He is turned into a friendly Christmas Sprite who accompanies Cassie (in her alias of the Ghost of Christmas Past) in guiding Todd to the events of his past life, and eventually return to reality once they are done. Later in the epilogue, Groot is shown enjoying the Christmas party along with the featured heroes. He is later urged by Teresa Parker (who is shown whispering in his ears) into growing a mistletoe between Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson, getting them to share a kiss.
- Groot (in his "Baby Groot" state from Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout) returns in the Disney+ Marvel's Superhero Adventures: Infinity War (a sequel to A Marvel Christmas Carol), voiced again by Jessica DiCicco. Throughout the film, Groot (despite being on his toddler state) is shown to have evolved some of his plant-based abilities, on which he became stronger and able to generate plant-based wings (similar to Swamp Thing in DC Comics).
- A version of Groot is a main character in The Amazing Avengers. While still a humanoid tree, this version developed weather-based abilities after proving himself worthy of wielding the mystical hammer Mjolnir (which once belonged to the deceased Asgardian Prince and Thunderer Thor). He has a bond of friendship with Mary Jane Watson / Captain Marvel, who is able to understand his native language. He later became a member of the Avengers led by Peter Parker / Captain America.
- A version of Groot is featured in Ultimate Marvel: Earth-2. This version is a former inhabitant and survivor of Asgard. He is Thor's closest friend and once proved himself worthy of wielding Mjolnir. He was given the Uru sword Stormbreaker, a double-edged sword which had similar attributes and capabilities to those of Mjolnir. He is also a mentor and friend to Spider-Man and his friends, who are able to understand his native language (on which Groot is only heard saying "I am Groot."). He is married with She-Hulk (who is also able to understand), with whom he has three children, and is occasional partners with Rocket Raccoon.
- The Ultimate Marvel: Earth-2 version of Groot is a main character in Marvel: All New, All Different Chronicles, voiced by Travis Willingham.
- Groot appears in Ms. Marvel and the Young Avengers, voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson. Still a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy, Groot is also a friend of the Young Avengers, most in particular of Kamala Khan, whose Inhuman physiology enables her to understand his native language. Groot also has a son named Groot Jr. (voiced by Jessica DiCicco), who is visually based on Groot's "Baby Groot" appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.