Gary A. Trousdale (born June 8, 1960) is an American film director known for directing films such as For Pete's Sake, Raising Arizona, Beauty and the Beast, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Atlantis: The Lost Empire. He frequently works with Kirk Wise and Don Hahn.
Trousdale planned to become an architect, but decided instead to study animation at CalArts, where he studied for three years. He was hired in 1982 to design storyboards and do other animation. He then went to work designing restaurant menus and t-shirts.
Trousdale was hired by Walt Disney Feature Animation in 1985 as an effects animator on The Black Cauldron. He gained true prominence in his field with the success of his animated film directorial debut Beauty and the Beast, which was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture and won a LAFCA Award. He later directed The Hunchback of Notre Dame in 1996 and Atlantis: The Lost Empire in 2001.
He moved to DreamWorks Animation in 2003, where he worked on projects such as The Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper, Shrek the Halls and more recently Scared Shrekless.
- Beauty and the Beast (2017 - creative consultant)
- Floyd Norman: An Animated Life (2016 - Himself)
- Rocky & Bullwinkle (2014 - director)
- Mr. Peabody & Sherman (2014 - story artist)
- The Pig Who Cried Werewolf (2011 - director/screenplay)
- Thriller Night (2011 - director)
- Scared Shrekless (2010 - director/screenplay)
- Megamind (2010 - special thanks)
- Kung Fu Panda (2008 - special thanks)
- Shrek the Halls (2007 - director/screenplay/voice of Santa) (TV)
- Flushed Away (2006 - additional story artist)
- The Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper (2005 - director)
- Madagascar (2005 - story/additional storyboard artist)
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001 - director/story)
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996 - director)
- The Lion King (1994 - story)
- Aladdin (1992 - pre-production story development: CGI)
- Beauty and the Beast (1991 - director)
- The Prince and the Pauper (1990 - storyboard artist)
- The Rescuers Down Under (1990 - storyboard artist)
- Cranium Command (1989 - opening sequence director)
- The Little Mermaid (1989 - storyboard artist)
- Oliver & Company (1988 - story)
- Raising Arizona (1988 - director/story)
- Homania (1985 - character designer/animator: Jack of All Trades)
- My Science Project (1985 - effects animator)
- The Black Cauldron (1985 - inbetween effects artist)
- For Pete's Sake (1979 - director/story)
Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise have cast certain actors in more than one of their films.
of Notre Dame
The Lost Empire
|David Ogden Stiers||X||X||X|
|Mary Kay Bergman||X||X|