Disney Toon Channel is a Latin-American programming block and pay television channel, with the block version premiering on Disney XD in April 3rd, 2017 (as called DisneyToon) and the channel version being launched two years after the block premiered, On June 7th, 2019. The block and the channel serves as a revival for Toon Disney, airing mainly programming from Disney Television Animation, Marvel Entertainment, Lucasfilm Ltd., The Muppet Studios and 20th Century Fox. However, it also acquired some non-Disney shows, so the channel won't strictly air only Disney shows.
In January 2017, the Walt Disney Company partnered with select companies to launch a new block for the channel and begins broadcasting on Disney XD commercials to promote a new block. After several discussions, the channel announced the intention to re-launch the now-defunct Toon Disney, which this time will be called Disney Toon Channel, in honor of the website. Immediately, Disney Kids was announced and born.
In March 2017, the block's first promotion aired on television and was posted on YouTube with thousands upon thousands of followers, especially in the place where Toon Disney's most beloved channel is being revived under a different name. The following day, both Disney Television Animation had plans to create original series for the block. Thus, (although it was first broadcast on Disney Channel and Disney XD), Spying Music was officially labeled as the first original Disney Toon Channel series. In addition, other companies, including studios outside the U.S., would also produce original series for Disney Toon Channel and create them for their own countries.
On March 29 of the same year, one month before the block's opening, the complete alignment of the block was confirmed. The following month, the block was finally released.
Launch of the block
The block was launched on Disney XD on Monday, April 3rd, 2017. The first program to air was the 1997 Pepper Ann episode Old Best Friend.
The block not only was given largely favorable reviews from critics and viewers, but was also proven to be successful on the launch day, being viewed by both kids and adults.
Launch of the channel
Due to positive reviews, successful views and heavy fan demand, Disney Toon Channel was confirmed to get its own 24/7 hr. channel operated by Walt Disney. as a sister channel to Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior by June 7th, 2019.
The launch sequence was inspired by the promo of Latin America Disney Channel 2014 block, Disney Channel Fest. After that, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck (voiced by Bret Iwan and Daniel Ross) are discussing about who will launch the channel. The camera then pans over to an animated version of Rich Moore drawing Toby and Suki in a notepad, coming thereafter to life, launching the channel.
Much like Disney Magazine, the channel has two mascots: a soccer boy named Toby (voiced by Phil LaMarr) and a Barbie-like woman named Suki (voiced by Catherine Taber), both being created by Rich Moore. They primarily announce the upcoming cartoons, host the blocks and host special events as well.
When asked if there's something going on between them, Moore replied that they are indeed dating.
See Disney Toon Channel/Blocks
See Disney Toon Channel/Idents and promos transcripts
- The Walt Disney Company
- Walt Disney Pictures (family films only)
- Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Pixar Animation Studios
- DisneyToon Studios
- Marvel Comics (animated films and series only)
- Lucasfilm, Ltd.
- The Muppet Studios
- Jetix Animation Concepts
- 20th Century Fox (family films only)
- 20th Century Fox Television
- Blue Sky Studios
- Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Columbia Pictures (family films only)
- TriStar Pictures (family films only)
- Sony Pictures Television
- Sony Pictures Animation
- Cartoon Studios|Sony Cartoon Studios
- Sega of America
- Andrews McFeel Publishing
- DHX Media
- France Télévisions
- BBC Worldwide
- MGM Holdings
- Paws, Inc.
- Saban Brands
- Portfolio Entertainment
- BKN International
- Studio Deen
- BVS Entertainment
- Toei Animation
- Marathon Animation
- Porchlight Entertainment
- TMS Entertainment
- El Trece
- Paka Paka
- Canal 13
- Ánima Estudios
- Zumbastico Studios
- American Greetings
- Ruby-Spears Productions
- Film Roman
- Scholastic Entertainment
- Fred Wolf Films
- Cartoon Network
- Group TAC
- Cake Entertainment
- The LEGO Group
- Discovery Kids
- 4Kids Entertainment
- Toon Studios|Lionsgate Toon Studios
United Kingdom and Ireland
The United Kingdom version of the channel was launched on April 22, 2020, replacing Noggin. The channel is owned by Walt Disney Company.
France and Francophone Africa
The France and Francophone Africa version of the channel was launched on August 9, 2019
The Spain version of the channel was launched on June 7, 2019
Portugal and Lusophone Africa
The Portugal and Lusophone Africa version of the channel was launched on July 8, 2019
Europe, Middle East and Africa
The Europe, Middle East and Africa version of the channel was launched on September 1, 2019
A Canadian version of the block was launched in September 12, 2019 on Global Television Network as a partnership between Global's parent company Walt Disney Comapny. In addition, Disney also launched a Canadian version of the channel in January 2020, serving as a sister channel to Disney Channel Canada.
A Latin American version of the channel was launched in June 7, 2019. Besides that, it is also featured as a block on Imagen Televisión in Mexico, Chilevisión in Chile, Canal 4 in Uruguay and El Trece in Argentina.
See Disney Toon Channel/Block schedule and Disney Toon Channel/Schedule
USA, UK, Canada and More
- Conrad Vernon
- Rashida Jones
- Oscar Isaac
- Tom Hanks
- Adolfo Stambulsky (only in movie promos and action shows)
- François Clemenceau (main announcer, only in some temporary promos)
- Luiz Machado (Only in Brazil)
- 2017-2019: Keep your Funny Day!
- 2019-Present: Only on Disney Kids!
- 2019-Present: We do what we want.
- 2020: #Separatebuttogether (because of COVID-19)
Trivia and censorship
- Disney Toon Channel is inspired by Turner Broadcasting System's Boomerang, Tooncast and WB Kids and Viacom's Nicktoons, because it airs mainly cartoons.
- Like other Disney channels, Disney Toon Channel airs original productions.
- With Disney's proposed acquisition of 21st Century Fox, the channel would also air family-friendly shows and films from the company.
- In case of the deal being blocked due to antitrust concerns, both companies expressed that the partnership between them would still continue and Fox would still develop original programming for Disney Toon Channel. However, they announced that they might change their minds about it and remove Fox programming, movies and even the channel's Fox Mania.
- Due to its popularity, the channel spawns into a variety of stuff: Disney Toon Channel/Radio, a Disney Toon Channel/Imaginationzine, a series of crossover comic books, video games, a Disney Toon Toontown on Levity Trampoline Park at Montevideo, Uruguay, and an Disney Toon Channel/App.
- Unlike Toon Disney, the idents are similar to CN-City from Cartoon Network, but animated in CGI by Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- The songs will be played on some idents or commercials of the channel
- Do Your Thing - Basement Jaxx
- Where's your Head At - Basement Jaxx
- Funky Town - Lipps Inc
- Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet
- Contra La Pared - J Balvin
- Touch Down - KSI
- All Star - Smash Mouth
- No Lie- Sean Paul ft. Dua Lipa
- Idol - BTS
- The same day when Disney Toon Channel premiered on its own channel, it had the same date when the Illumination movie, The Secret Life of Pets 2 was premiered.
- Also various movies like The Secret Life Of Pets 2, Men In Black International, Toy Story 4, The Lion King, and many more movies TV Spots were released but in some countries during on the commercial breaks.
- Both the block and the channel have a characteristic 6-note tune as its jingle, strongly resembling the final notes of Steamboat Willie.
- The lineup promo had the Ester Dean song, Let me take you to Rio, from the 2011 Blue Sky Studios movie, Rio.
- This song had been recycled in some of the other promos (like the new channel promo and the New Year on Disney Kids promo).
- Interestingly, in the lineup promo, the Mickey Mouse/Donald Duck/Goofy/Pluto shorts, the Alice Comedies shorts and the Pixar shorts are not shown, despite being in the block.
- It is the first Disney XD's children Monday to Friday morning block.
- After the success of the block, this has started a renaissance of Monday to Friday Morning kids blocks.
- Interestingly, on the on-screen bug as a block, the on-screen says "Disney Toon on Disney XD".
- However, on the channel, the on-screen bug from only April (when the channel premieres) will have just the Disney Toon Channel logo.
- In the awakening of the new logo, while the "Disney Toon on Disney XD" remained, the channel on-screen now simply just has the Mickey Mouse head silhouette.
- The website link was www.disneytoon.com to avoid confusion to the link to the original non-TV Disney Toon Channel website. There are games, videos, activities (including papercraft-like figures called Disney Toon Paper Buddies, coloring pages, crafts, etc.).
- Currently, it is the only block in the Monday to Friday morning Renaissance group to have a channel version.