Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie is a 2017 American computer-animated superhero comedy film based on Dav Pilkey's children's novel series of the same name, produced by DreamWorks Animation and Treehouse Comix, Inc. and distributed by 20th Century Fox. It was directed by David Soren from a screenplay by Nicholas Stoller, and stars the voices of Kevin Hart, Ed Helms, Nick Kroll, Thomas Middleditch, Jordan Peele and Kristen Schaal. The plot follows two imaginative elementary school pranksters named George Beard and Harold Hutchins (voiced by Kevin Hart and Thomas Middleditch) who hypnotize their mean-spirited principal, Mr. Krupp (voiced by Ed Helms), into thinking he is Captain Underpants, a superhero who fights crime while wearing only underwear and a cape.
This was the last DreamWorks Animation film to be distributed by 20th Century Fox (rights to the entire DWA library, including this film, are now owned by Universal Pictures, following NBCUniversal's purchase of DWA in 2016).
In the city of Piqua, Ohio, two fourth-grade friends and next-door neighbors named George Beard (Kevin Hart) and Harold Hutchins (Thomas Middleditch) are the pranksters at their school, Jerome Horwitz Elementary School. They excessively pull numerous pranks on the cruel teachers, many of which are directed at their mean-spirited principal, Benjamin Krupp (Ed Helms), putting the two at odds with him. The duo also create comic books about a superhero named Captain Underpants, who fights crime while wearing underwear and a cape. They distribute these to their schoolmates through a comic company called Treehouse Comix Inc., located in their treehouse. George and Harold's pranks come to an apparent end after they're caught tampering with a toilet invention, the Turbo Toilet 2000, made by the school's local snitch and intellectual, Melvin Sneedly (Jordan Peele), on video with Melvin's tattle-turtle. Finally having solid proof of the boys' antics, Mr. Krupp excitedly prepares to annihilate their friendship by putting them in separate classes.
The next week on Monday, they decide to get the turtle by sneaking into his office so they put the receptionist on hold by faking a contest with a cash prize of $1 billion, and found lots of stuff confiscated from them and George finds his 3D Hypno Ring and Mr. Krupp gets back in and catches them red-handed and prepares to sign the paperwork of putting them in separate classes. To prevent this, George hypnotizes Mr. Krupp with the Hypno Ring he received out of a cereal box and take the turtle. The boys see that Mr. Krupp bears an odd resemblance to Captain Underpants without his toupee and command him to be Captain Underpants. The boys soon learn the severity of their actions when Captain Underpants begins causing problems around Piqua. To prevent these issues, the boys take him to their tree house, where they discover that they can turn Captain Underpants back into Mr. Krupp by splashing water on him and can turn Mr.Krupp back into Captain Underpants by snapping their fingers. Knowing that Mr. Krupp will continue trying to separate them, they decide to settle with Captain Underpants but insist that he be dressed up as Mr. Krupp under the pretense of a "secret identity", to which Captain Underpants agrees. His sudden personality change even manages to attract the attention (and affection) of the school's shy lunch lady, Edith (Kristen Schaal).
Just when George and Harold believe that their troubles have ended, Jerome Horwitz Elementary School is visited by an odd, German-accented scientist named Professor Pee-Pee Diarrheastein Poopypants Esq. (Nick Kroll), or as he calls himself, Professor P. Captain Underpants (disguised as Mr. Krupp) hires him to be the new science teacher, but George and Harold are suspicious of him due to his violent and short-tempered attitude, as well as his résumé's content. As it turns out, Poopypants is seeking to get rid of laughter altogether due to the fact that people have made fun of his name for years and he plans to get rid of the Hahaguffawchuckleamalus. He recruits Melvin to help him, as he discovers (after reading a comic book George and Harold made featuring characters resembling them called 'Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants) that Melvin's brain makes him incapable of laughing or having fun.
After a school carnival accident caused by Captain Underpants (making a carnival and keeps turning to Mr. Krupp again and again due to the amount of water and it finally rains, causing the snapping not to work), Mr. Krupp finally separates the boys. Professor Poopypants tries to take over the town with a giant version of the Turbo Toilet 2000, fueled by the school cafeteria's rotten leftovers left out by Edith and uses Melvin's brain to turn the children into glum, humorless zombies. Captain Underpants tries to stop the villain, but due to having no actual superpowers, is effortlessly defeated and thrown into the toilet. George and Harold are captured and nearly turned into zombies, but are able to escape after Professor Poopypants mentions the planet Uranus, reminiscing the joke which caused them to be friends (mentioned when George and Harold introduced themselves) causing the boys to laugh and damage the Turbo Toilet 2000's computer because they have a large Hahaguffawchuckleamalus, restoring the children back to normal. Upon consuming the mutated leftovers, Captain Underpants acquires superpowers and, with George and Harold's help, defeats and shrinks Poopypants, though he escapes on a bumblebee shortly thereafter.
Knowing that they cannot control Captain Underpants, George and Harold destroy the Hypno Ring in an attempt to permanently change him back into Mr. Krupp. Feeling that Mr. Krupp would be nicer if he had friends, the boys set him and lovesick Edith up on a date, thus making Mr. Krupp have a change of heart, as he returns the comics he took away from George and Harold, and even admits their comics are funny. However, the toxic waste from the Turbo Toilet 2000 transforms all the toilets into vicious monsters which attack the restaurant at which Mr. Krupp and Edith are dining. Upon accidentally snapping his fingers for help, Mr. Krupp once again becomes Captain Underpants, carrying George and Harold away to help him fight them, much to Edith's surprise and admiration.
In a mid-credits scene, George and Harold realize that the secretary, who they put on hold before, has been on the phone for the entire film, so they talk over the phone, causing the secretary to drop the phone, ending the call, which makes the secretary angry, and they make a new comic based on her reaction called Captain Underpants and the Attack of Stuck On-Hold Woman.
- Kevin Hart as George Beard, a fourth-grade student. He is Harold's best friend and writes stories for the comics he and Harold make.
- Thomas Middleditch as Harold Hutchins, a fourth-grade student. He is George's best friend and illustrates the comics he and George make.
- Ed Helms as Principal Benjamin Krupp/Captain Underpants, the mean-spirited principal of Jerome Horwitz Elementary School, who is hypnotized into becoming the superhero created by George and Harold, to stop him from putting them in separate classes.
- Nick Kroll as Professor Pee-Pee Diarrheastein Poopypants Esq., a scientist angered after being constantly made fun of and not taken seriously for his name, who decides to take over the world to get rid of all laughter and Captain Underpants' arch-nemesis.
- Jordan Peele as Melvin Sneedly, George and Harold's nerdy nemesis, a child prodigy inventor; he becomes Prof. Poopypants' unwitting sidekick.
- Kristen Schaal as Edith, the shy school lunch lady and the love interest of Mr. Krupp.
- Dee Dee Rescher as Ms. Tara Ribble, the 4th-grade teacher (and George's new teacher when Mr. Krupp separates the boys).
- Brian Posehn as Mr. Rected, the guidance counselor (and Harold's new teacher when Mr. Krupp separates the boys).
- Mel Rodriguez as Mr. Morty Fyde, the science teacher who gets fired by Mr. Krupp and is replaced by Professor Poopypants.
- David Soren as Tommy, a boy who is seen frequently throughout the movie climbing into his own locker and shutting the locker door behind him.
- Susan Fitzker as Mrs. Dayken, George and Harold's kindergarten teacher and unintentionally made them laugh by mentioning Uranus
- Lynnanne Zager as Mrs. Beard
- Tiffany Lauren Bennicke as Sad Girl
- James Ryan as Mime
- Leslie David Baker as Officer McPiggly
- Sugar Lyn Beard as Goodie Two-Shoes Girl
- Lesley Nicol as Nobel Moderator
- Chris Miller as Nobel Audience Member
- Coco Soren as Balloon Girl